Format: Hardcover|Change

on 21 July 2013
I bought this book to assist me with my dissertation (Real-time rendering of procedurally generated planets). This book has been a god send; it manages to cover huge sections from spherical representations for the planet, to texturing, to terrain LOD. There are also very comprehensive coverages of using out of core techniques to process terrain data, however I skipped these as they weren't relevant to my dissertation.

If you're serious about writing a virtual globe application, then this book really is the starting point. Most of the chapters will give you enough information to understand roughly how a technique works, but if you want to really get to grips with how all the little bits work you really need to go off and find the original papers! This book makes that easy however with a consistent referencing style and a handy website which has all the bibliography as web addresses; which is a god send!
on 3 June 2014
This is an exceptional book. I was a bit hesitant as I do have a lot of papers on rendering realistic phenomena but the way they went through each topic clearly with lots of examples. Also the way they present the engine is also elegantly done and I have borrowed several ideas for my own.
on 22 February 2015
Very clear and comprehensive coverage of this subject
on 17 April 2016