Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 25 Jan 2012 20:52:50 GMT
Dan & Tues says:
Is Hugo only going to be available on 3D Blu-Ray? Will the disc play on my regular BD player and TV? I want the movie but I'm not interested in 3D TV; I haven't tried a 3D BD on my player yet - I'd always assumed it wouldn't play, but in HUgo's case there doesn't seem to be an alternative to pre-order yet.

Posted on 30 Jan 2012 08:51:34 GMT
Well, the Blu-ray 3D spec says that a 3D disc must play in a 2D player (in 2D, obviously) so yes it should.

I've never understood why there have been 2D and 3D versions of films as different releases (firmware issues aside) so maybe this is the first real tester to see if a 3D only release will a) sell, and b) work in 2D players!!

I want it in 2D only, so I guess we'll see (no pun intended)!

Posted on 30 Jan 2012 09:07:00 GMT
It could also be a picture quality issue. A 3D movie has both full 1080p images for both the left and right eye encoded, so would technically need greater compression. So, it all ends up getting more technical and complex a discussion. Suggest watching blu-ray.com and see what develops!

Posted on 3 Feb 2012 12:20:04 GMT
Le Blaireau says:
the latest production description from Amazon describes "3D blu-ray + blu-ray" - so hopefully it will come as both. Could be a whole new take on the "triple play is rubbish" thread........

Posted on 26 Feb 2012 14:00:01 GMT
the bluray release comes with both 2d and 3d versions of the film which is great for people who havent got 3d yet to buy this version for when they do get a 3d tv like me! that way you are future proofed!

Posted on 31 Mar 2012 18:43:57 BDT
CharmaineZoe says:
Just received and watched the 3D BluRay disc today. It only comes with one disc which has both versions on it. The options to play either the 3D or 2D versions appear when you click on Play Movie on the disk menu, and both versions are fantastic - in fact I was impressed at just how good the 2D version is. (but the 3D version will blow you away!)

Posted on 1 May 2012 18:18:10 BDT
lol says:
can you only get hugo 3d in blue ray ? i have a 3d tv but not a blue ray player !

Posted on 17 Dec 2012 05:58:15 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 17 Dec 2012 05:59:38 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Dec 2012 05:59:11 GMT
bobc says:
I got problem viewing 3D. No matter I choose 3D or 2D while selecting in 'Play Movie'. It only end up playing 2D. I got no probelm with other Region B 3D bluray like the Three Musketeers.??? Just wondering whether the disc is faulty. But since I bought it quite many months ago, wonder whether I can got it replaced.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Dec 2012 21:47:47 GMT
Doppler says:
I have the same problem with this disc and Coraline. I think it's a problem with some bluray players (eg my sony BDP-S490) and 3D discs mastered to be playable in 2D machines so that supposedly separate 2D and 3D versions aren't needed. Out of curiosity what player are you using?

Posted on 20 Feb 2013 15:24:45 GMT
Ken Luxford says:
Playing Dredd in 3d on my Denon DBT3313 it locks up and have to switch the player off and reload the disk, same happens with Hugo 3d. Both play fine in 2d. Seems to be a problem where 2d and 3d are cramed onto one disk? All other 3d disks play fine. Have the latest firmware!

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Apr 2013 14:19:49 BDT
After first pressing "Play Movie" do not select 3D because when you press "Play Movie" again it will flip to 2D. I have found that leaving it at 2D and pressing "Play Movie" the 2D automatically flips to 3D. Until I noticed this I too was puzzled why it would not play 3D.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  10
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  25 Jan 2012
Latest post:  14 Apr 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Hugo (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray) (2011)
Hugo (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray) (2011) by Asa Butterfield (Blu-ray - 2012)
4.0 out of 5 stars   (473)