Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 65 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 22 Oct 2008 12:00:45 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 Oct 2008 12:03:39 BDT
Yesterday there was a discussion up about this camera being on Amazon for £300 but it has disappeared. If this camera shows up for £300 again it is a moneygram scam. It seems really legit as the seller has good feedback and everything, one of the posts yesterday said the seller had their account hacked though (which is why I haven't mentioned the seller's name - although really they should have tighter security in order to protect their reputation!). Anyway the seller's storefront says to email prior to ordering, so I did, the "seller" asked for my full name and address and said Amazon would email me for payment details. I thought it sounded fishy but at this stage I wasn't giving out vital details. Then I got an email from "Amazon" (hint - if you want to find out if an email's fake hit reply and see what email address it's really going to) wanting a moneygram payment. No thanks!!!

I hit "report phishing" in Gmail though as the email came from a gmail account so hopefully will be shut down quickly - there's nothing to stop them opening another account somewhere else though.

Amazon should really have tighter security and control on listings, I am not impressed. Along with the fact the discussion seems to have been removed - really it should have been explained that it was a scam and left up there to warn others.

... and yeah I know... I consider myself a reasonably intelligent person so I'm a bit of a dick to be tempted in the first place. If it seems to good to be true (even if it's listed on Amazon) it probably is!

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Oct 2008 01:21:21 BDT
I had the same experienced! Why don we just sent as many queries as we can to keep those people busy? haha......

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Oct 2008 07:10:44 BDT
Yeah I considered scamming the scammers by giving them my bank account details of a fake account with Icesave!

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Nov 2008 23:51:20 GMT
Last edited by the author on 10 Nov 2008 23:59:26 GMT
Thought says:
I do not understand this scam. I bought this camera outfit from Browns-Books a couple of days ago for £255.50 and Amazon told me that Browns-Books had taken my credit card payment. Now Browns-Books can't send me the camera and they refuse to refund the money( although Amazon want them to do this using a simple online procedure). How does this scam work if Browns-Books has my credit card payment?
Seems like a genuine transaction through Amazon and credit card but my money has still disappeared and neither Amazon or Seller will take responsibility. So the scam has worked in the sense that I have lost my money and have no camera - but who has benefited from the scam? Seems to me that Browns-Nooks have scammed me in some way, as they are refusing to return the money they have taken off me, and I know they CAN return it if they choose.
I have obeyed the rules. What a bad system! How come the scam revoves around a Canon 450D and why can't Amazon prevent it?

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Nov 2008 10:27:48 GMT
Hi,
I haven't been affected by this scam but thought you may like to know that I'm almost certain that you can get the money back off your credit card company as they are now partially liable. Just Google for credit card support and see what you turn up,

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Nov 2008 21:57:47 GMT
Last edited by the author on 25 Nov 2008 22:02:17 GMT
malib says:
I have come across a similar scam within the last week about a sony laptop on amazon. The seller offers the sony f11e at a reduced rate and says if you are interested amazon will contact you on my behalf to make the transaction safe. The email from amazon seem genuine as it has the real amazon email address and in the email says don't send the moneygram payment directly to the seller click on the link in the email for payment instructions. I forwarded the payment instructions for the moneygram to Amazon who said they would not forward the moneygram to the seller until I had received the laptop inspected it and was happy with it. So I forwarded the payment detail to who I thought was amazon.I was lucky there was a typo at the post office on the recipients name and amazon replied saying the payment has been declined change the name to the one on the email. I then realised why would amazon be forwarding the payment details to the seller before I have received the goods and before the transaction was complete.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Dec 2008 09:44:20 GMT
coffeebean says:
exactly the same thing happened to me!

Posted on 17 Feb 2009 18:58:15 GMT
Had the same experience, stopped before I submitted a Western Union money exchange. Since then the scammer keeps pestering me. Unfortunately Amazon passed on a query to them so he has my email address. I have sent source emails to Amazon but so far haven't heard from them. I would have thought that it seems to have been going on so long that they would have stopped it by now. I know they keep changing their name.

Posted on 17 Feb 2009 19:00:30 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 17 Feb 2009 19:01:31 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Feb 2009 23:43:55 GMT
Mr. G. Kilic says:
Guys i've had the same experience from two different scamer. Just be careful. Cus they sent the mails exactly the same mail lay out of amazon and they want you to send the money by moneygram. this is an absolute scam

Posted on 15 Jun 2009 04:08:44 BDT
Hello!
I think I had the same experience two weeks ago!!!
I wanted to buy a Canon 50D body and lost 405.oo GBP
The seller was vcycle and email passion8ellectronics or something like that!
BE AWARE!!!
They are trying to push to pay them through MoneyGramm, sending fake order confirmation 'from Amazon'
I have sent my emails, order nr. to amazon but still I am waiting...

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jul 2009 20:57:05 BDT
panorama93 says:
I was almost scammed by fake seller using name of a legitimate business, but when I checked the business's website I found that they did not sell that kind of item but completely different items. I think Browns-Books was a fake seller using the name of a genuine business (bookseller) purporting to sell you a camera. In these case buyers should first try to contact the business via website to check if they are really the Amazon "seller" of item.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jul 2009 21:05:55 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 4 Jul 2009 21:11:03 BDT]

Posted on 10 Sep 2009 16:22:14 BDT
S. HUGHES says:
They're still scamming! Mine was from a live.com address, supposedly a Jack Barnes in Torino, Italy.

And still sending very convincing fake invoices purporting to come from amazon, asking for payment by MoneyGram, i.e. cash which is when I realised it was a scam.

They had lots of feedback too, presumably all fake.
Needless to say, the store and the item disappeared immediately I said I wanted to place the order.

Posted on 1 Nov 2010 22:32:41 GMT
J. S. Sims says:
I Strongly believe it's still going on over the last two weeks. I've been trying to purchase a canon 550D for under £400. I thought i was just being lucky and an idiot didn't know it's true worth.

The cameras disappear almost immediately and when you email them back asking them, they email you a VERY CONVINCING EMAIL- except it asks for MoneyGram.

Double check the email address.

Whats VERY disappointing is that i phoned Amazon to report the cameras being cancelled, thinking it was my mistake and they mentioned nothing about it might be a scam...

Posted on 29 Jan 2011 06:38:52 GMT
I fell for it unfortunately and lost $1,100 for a laptop that most likely doesn't exist. The trader went under the name of "Bonnie Slobodien".
I received fake emails from Amazon where i left the details of the Wetern Union payment. This was supposed to go into escrow until I received the laptop, however the money was removed the sme day.

They then had the nerve to email me and ask for another equal payment as somebody had mistakenly placed two laptops in the order, for which they were going to refund $250, for the inconvenience, once i had posted one back!

I've never heard of moneygram and have never dealt with Western Union. Up until now I foolishly thought Amazon was a safe place.

Posted on 2 May 2011 13:58:02 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 2 May 2011 13:58:35 BDT]

Posted on 12 Dec 2011 12:53:16 GMT
Lotfi.B says:
I almost fell for this too but as soon as I notcied "Moneygram, Western Union" and no other form of credit debit card payments I knew it was a scam, but for someone not as smart as me I can see them fall for this easly since Amazon is behind they don't know that the Amazon website isn't just 1 single seller "amazon" but a collection of private sellers and company the product could be sent from someone's bedroom.

1) Seller wants you to contact him outside of Amazon "Email, Phone"
2) Seller requests a non secure payments that you have nothing to get it back for you "money transfer agency, bank transfer"
3) Seller is not in your country or payments doesn't go to your country
Amazon is a safe place to puchase as long as you use your debit card because then it's your bank that will refund the money whatever happens because it protects you against fraud.

Posted on 21 Dec 2011 11:36:11 GMT
Hello, I think I have also been the victim of a scam for Macbook, I have been receiving emails to send the money using moneygram, to a person in Romania. Amazon customer helpdesk were clueless. These people have broken in Amazon's security and have been sending emails using the email addresses from Amazon!

Posted on 11 Jan 2012 18:59:52 GMT
Damian Reid says:
Same Situation for my husband about the following product :
Canon EOS 550D Digital SLR Camera (inc 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens Kit)"[Electronics]; £260.00
Sold by: arrowfileltd@gmail.com

Thank god I had the common sense to tell him not to proceed on the order!! Moneygram scam, from Greece! Keep an eye out!

Posted on 12 Jan 2012 16:18:48 GMT
A word of advice from an old man, if I may? There are NO free lunches, fellas. All that glisters is NOT gold. If it seems to good to be true..............!! I love the internet, and enjoy sites like this. I buy a lot of stuff here, but it is a few pounds cheaper, not a couple of hundred! I have an EOS 350 - super machine but 8mill pix, so not so good with a long lens - 450/550 better for distant shots - ship/aircraft/wildlife etc. Enjoy your hobby, and watch out for scams!

Posted on 16 Jan 2012 00:20:01 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 16 Jan 2012 00:54:11 GMT]

Posted on 16 Jan 2012 11:41:00 GMT
Last edited by the author on 17 Jan 2012 10:14:29 GMT
Book Keeper says:
For those that have been a victim of fraud and have lost money I strongly suggest you not only report the problem to amazon via stop-spoofing@amazon.com but I advise that you submit a fraud report as soon as possible: http://www.actionfraud.org.uk/ you can also call them directly on 0300 123 2040. If you have shared personal details, you should also contact your local police force to explain the problem, some scammers will use your personal details in order to conduct identity theft and further crime. Also, be on the lookout for further scams via email and phone as the scammer will often have your email address and telephone number and will typically sell it to underground networks. It is usually good practice to set up a new email address and telephone number when you realised you have been scammed.

To reduce your chance of becoming a victim, please always consider the following:

1. If it's too good to be true it often is! Most transactions that happen outside Amazon's payment process e.g. via Western Union, Moneygram etc. is likely to be a fraud. Even if a seller has immaculate feedback and they take the time to explain why they can offer the item at such a good price, ask yourself, 'Is £200 really worth saving, when you have £1,000 at stake!' Remember discounted prices, extended warranty, brand new 'ex-display' products have no value if you do not receive them.

2. Always, always, always report suspicious activity, if necessary get a second opinion but do not leave it for someone else to report. Together the faster you act and the faster we all act, the faster the criminal will be brought to justice preventing further victims.

3. If you do receive a request for payment via email, the design of the email will often look like it originates from the company, in this instance Amazon but it does not. There are a number of ways that you can tell:

a) First of all, check the sender's email address there are two parts i) The Display Name, this can be easily faked such as 'Amazon.co.uk' ii) The actual email address the important bit is the domain itself. Take for example the domain auto-confirm@securepayamazon.com while on review the securepayamazon.com looks legitimate the site will often be fake even a DNS lookup reports to be valid securepayamazon.com but investigate the site and question everything.

b) Turn off HTML emails and view the message as plain text, suspicious links stand out this way.

c) Check the customer support email address. For example pay-messages@live.com looks legitimate, it is simply an email address, set-up by the fraudster and not associated with the company. Check out other links and compare the email to a legitimate Amazon email, you will be surprised at just how many subtle discrepancies there are.

d) Take a look at the shipping address and payment address details, if these are different then that often raises suspicion, question why.

e) Google the shipping and payment address details, does it look suspicious, does the address even look like a business?

f) Google the information that you have found for example email address, domain names etc. see what information you can find. For example a quick google for arrowfileltd@gmail.com or sdecoulos@yahoo.com show that this is a scammer trying to scam you. Sometimes the source looks legitimate e.g. AltraSwim Ltd and ArtiFolk were both selling a Nikon D700 camera via their Amazon store so either these businesses are acting illegitimately, their Amazon account has been hijacked or the criminal is name squatting i.e. using the name of a legitimate company that the criminal has set up as the legitimate business does not have an Amazon account! Having spoken to Artifolk on Monday 16th January 2012, they confirm that they are aware of this scamming problem and that it had nothing to do with them and they did not want to comment any further.

g) Post a comment here and find out if other users have experienced similar problems.

h) Above all, use common sense. If it's too good to be true it often is. Take no chances, protect others and move on.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jan 2012 17:44:03 GMT
Last edited by the author on 16 Jan 2012 17:46:36 GMT
Aj Gray says:
i have just experienced the same as damien reid above, from the same email address arrowfileltd@gmail.com but this address was Italy - i knew it was a scam but he has wasted so much of my time - i could not pay via amazon as it would not accept the payment so the seller who went under altraswim ltd told me he would arrange with amazon to send me an invoice - i received one but it was delivered to my spam account and that is when i got suspicious as all other amazon emails goes into my inbox. Glad i realised or i would have been £800 out of pocket.

Posted on 16 Jan 2012 21:08:42 GMT
Me too! Same guy! I hope no one falls for this
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  45
Total posts:  65
Initial post:  22 Oct 2008
Latest post:  15 Jan 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 19 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Canon EOS 450D Digital SLR Camera Kit (incl EF-S 18-55mm IS f/3.5-5.6 non USM Lens Kit)
Canon EOS 450D Digital SLR Camera Kit (incl EF-S 18-55mm IS f/3.5-5.6 non USM Lens Kit) by Canon
4.5 out of 5 stars   (82)