24 Completes series - New Packaging critic

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 29 Oct 2011 17:09:30 BDT
Last edited by the author on 29 Oct 2011 17:18:35 BDT
dvdbash says:
24 - Complete Season 1-8 + Redemption (New Packaging)
The price of this boxset is less than 50£.
Why ?
1. It's very compact. There are only 2 dvd cases ('The megapack' by Amaray), each one contains 24 DVD. Disturbing DVD cases, not handy at all.
2. Redemption is in a slim case. There are no details on the cover, i hope there are english subtitles.
3. The cardboard of the boxset is very thin. Don't expect a solid boxset. Graphic design is OK.

Conclusion :
> compact
> economic
> not handy
> not solid
> if you are a DVD collector, if you like nice DVD boxsets (to display on your shelves), well...don't buy this edition.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Oct 2011 11:17:28 GMT
What about subtitles? Is there any subtitles in 1-8 seasons + redemtion? Which languages?

Posted on 30 Oct 2011 12:03:02 GMT
dvdbash says:
Redemption=audio:english / subtitles:english+dutch
The series:audio:english / subtitles:english

Posted on 1 Nov 2011 15:57:44 GMT
Last edited by the author on 1 Nov 2011 22:54:44 GMT
Shane says:
Thanks for your critique of this boxset. I'm returning mine as the very thin cardboard case was ripped when it arrived. I won't be ordering this again, as the packaging is flimsy and truly impractical. I'll either wait for other release to drop in price, or for a blu-ray boxset.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Nov 2011 12:11:43 GMT
Neil says:
As long as the item arrives in one piece (which with Amazon's decent packaging is usually the case) the boxset is good enough. And for anyone with a large collection thankfully compact. Mine was fine and I have no complaints, the megapacks inside had very minimal 24 artwork and were quite easily the best artwork I've seen for a 24 release. Other than the Region 1 steel case release of Season 1 that is...

Posted on 25 Nov 2011 11:50:48 GMT
Can anyone tell me if they have changed the menu format on this boxset. I have series 1 and 2 on seperate dvds (the original ones when they first came out on dvd) and I really hate the way you have a menu with four episodes listed, such as, 11am-12pm, 12pm-1pm,1pm-2pm,2pm-3pm, and then when you select the episode to watch you go to another menu for that episode and then select to actaully watch the episode from that menu. Also when you have finished watching that episode you have to back track to the original main menu by which time you have forgotten which "time" episode you just watched and you end up sellecting the same one again or missing one out. So can you tell me if the content is still the same and its just different outer packaging or have they redone the whole format and if so is it a simpler menu system. My mum watched series 7 and 8 with me as it was shown on Sky One and loved it and now she wants to watch from the begining but she is elderly and not very good with dvds at the best of times but I just know that the 24 menu set-up is just going to get her in a tiswas.

Posted on 10 Dec 2011 18:21:17 GMT
I got the new boxset, yes the cardboard with thin but the two cases holding season one to four and five to eight are quite robust and the movie comes in its own slim case which all fits into the box, the only issue I have is that the both 4 season cases have the same information as both cases would appear to have been for the first 4 seasons but all discs are there for the whole 8 seasons its a small matter I can see past along with the flimsy cardboard box they are housed in, I see not problem with this as its not like the box has to endure any type of serious use other than sitting on a shelve, all in all I still think this is good value

Posted on 14 Dec 2011 18:46:56 GMT
G. Powell says:
am i missing something. started by watching redemption but it only shows between 3pm-5pm and ends when jack gets arrested and is on plane to america.
is that it?

Posted on 14 Dec 2011 19:26:59 GMT
dvdbash says:
'Redemption' takes place between seasons 6 and 7.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jan 2012 11:52:13 GMT
Richard says:
G. Powell, Redemption was the result of a writers' strike in America. The producers realised that with a prolonged strike they would be unable to create a good full 24 hour series that year so they considered options to hold people over until the next year's series and settled on a shorter 2 hour plot. I think I personally would've elected to create a 12 hour series, but perhaps their idea was perhaps better as 007 Quantum of Solace shows what happens when you try to work around the writers strike; by union rules only the actors and director were allowed to create dialogue while the writers were on strike so with half a script the rest of the film was largely improvised by Craig and the director, on 24 they waited for the writers to return and then created a 2 hour story rather than try to improvise a story of any length on their own.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Feb 2012 23:57:34 GMT
Andrew says:
So if not this box set which one to get? Is there another more comprehensive box set? Sitbon

Posted on 13 Apr 2012 00:12:03 BDT
N. Warde says:
Does anyone have the other boxset? Are the special features the same as that? Region 1 has 56 discs! Maybe the episodes ar spread out on more discs? Or perhaps there are more special features?

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Nov 2013 21:14:30 GMT
Yes.

That's it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  11
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  29 Oct 2011
Latest post:  22 Nov 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
24 - Complete Season 1-8 + Redemption (New Packaging) [DVD]
24 - Complete Season 1-8 + Redemption (New Packaging) [DVD] by Kiefer Sutherland (DVD - 2011)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (359)