on 30 October 2009
This is definitely not a Snow Leopard SERVER family pack. I will remove the word SERVER from there, the server costs much higher and is NOT coming in a family pack.
on 24 November 2010
I was a little suspicious as half the price of all other family versions but all ok.... Loaded on two Macs so far and all ok! Why pay more???

Andy
on 17 June 2011
Once I up dated my Macbook from Mac OS X 10.5 to this version, I feel like I have a new computer, it is as faster as it was when it was brand new. I am very happy. also I was able to update some applications.
just great!
on 17 October 2010
The name snow leopard suggest that it is an incremental upgrade over leopard and that is what you exactly get. THe OS is exceptional and considerably lighter and faster than the predecessor. It'll help you shed some space from the HDD which is a huge bonus.
on 4 July 2011
Its typical of me to upgrade just as they are about to release Lion !!! It was a problem free install taking about 45-50 mins.
On the surface not much appears to have changed but things do seem to be running better.
There is nothing to fault about this upgrade, delivery and price were superb !!!
on 17 September 2011
I was very happy with Leopard (10.5), so did not bother with the upgrade to Snow Leopard (10.6) when it came out. I finally made the upgrade, mainly to access the App Store and because it is required for the upgrade to Lion. However, I soon wondered why I had waited so long. Snow Leopard is noticeably faster that Leopard and has a number of very convenient new features. Very pleased with it. Lion is now out, but the reviews are mixed. I think I'll wait.
on 28 June 2011
I bought this in preparation for the Lion update.

Installation on my MacBook went smoothly, but subsequently found a few of my applications that were quite happy with Leopard no longer worked.

Scanwise: that I used for the Agfa Scanscan e25 - but I downloaded VueScan to use instead.
Similarly the software for my Primefilm 1800u slide scanner no longer worked.
Currently Vuescan supports that - but if there is no Rosetta in Lion I think the driver requires it - so that may be broken.

Fortunately Office 2004 works so I have not had to update that yet - but again that uses Rosetta so I may be forced to update to the latest Office for Lion.

The most important casualties are Retrospect Desktop and Parallels V3.0 Desktop.
Neither of these runs.

For backups I was using both TimeMachine and (2 copies updated every month or 2) on Retrospect.
I think I will give up on Retrospect - it is time consuming. But that will mean that may couple of hundred archive DVD's will be unaccessible.
Instead, I'll invest in another backup disk (or even two) and have multiple Time Machine backups, switching backup in disk in TIme Machine on some regular basis (maybe even automatically).

Parallels is more of a issue. There is some PC software I need to use from time to time.
Of course, I was able to upgrade Parallels, but but that was not without issues
Usually when I use Parallels I just Quit Parallels when I have finished doing PC stuff.
So the 30+GB PC hard disk image was in a running state.
It was difficult to port the disk image to the latest Parallels requiring advice from the Parallels support team.
So my advice would be update Parallels before upgrading to Snow Leopard.

I also noted that when I received an .xls file the other day and (for some reason) my system tried to open AppleWorks to read it (instead of Excel), that Appleworks got stuck in a loop. I never use Appleworks, but as far as I am aware it could read some really old file formats such as MacWrite, MacPaint and MacDraw - there are files in these formats on my archive. There may be other programs that are broken, but I can probably live without these. I opened the .xls file in Excel.

So much for the bad news. What is the good news?

Nothing much really. I have carried on using my computer much as before. The only really noticeable change was the App Store in the Apple menu and some minor changes to the Dock. Otherwise, everything SEEMS to be much as under Leopard. Some older applications do not work, though some newer ones (which I did not have when I originally wrote this review - I have since upgraded) such as iLife'11 are now viable. Maybe it runs faster, but I can't say that I have noticed any difference. There is Exchange support, but I don;t use that. Apple says there is some Malware checking - fortunately I not noticed that. Exposé has been integrated with the Dock, but it was a button on my keyboard anyway (F3 with an Exposé icon on it). It is claimed that un-mounting and unplugging drives has been improved - while that might be true, it never was an issue for me. And so the list goes on - things I don't use or haven't noticed.

One feature that Apple has changed is the way that aliases are updated. In Leopard, if you created an alias it could be up to 512k in size, but was sometimes as small as 4k. The reason for the bloat is that alias stores icon info. However, under Leopard you could take a 4k alias and point it at another file and rename it and it will still 4k. I used that to write a Applescript to do just that, so making sure all aliases were 4k. That does NOT work in SnowLeopard: the icon info gets updated and the alias is as large as before. Or it might be even larger, because icons can be larger in SnowLeopard! I guess Apple have some reason for putting this icon info in aliases, but it tends to waste disk space as the alias can often be larger than the file it points at!

Was my £25 well spent on this update? Maybe - so I can update to Lion, but the real cost of the update is more than the Snow Leopard update. Some software is broken and some needs updating/replacing.

BTW: The family update price I paid was only marginally more than a single copy update, and there is another MacBook in the family to update.
on 12 December 2011
I have used this to upgrade my 27" i5 iMac (was running 10.5), my 13" Core2Duo white MacBook (was running 10.5) and also my father's older 15" Core2Duo MacBook Pro (was running 10.4) without a hitch (upgraded the RAM in the MacBook Pro to 3GB by adding a single 2GB DIMM). Still two licences left. Neat and simple.

Older iLife applications from 10.4 appear to work fine with the 10.6 upgrade, I did not find it necessary to do a clean install with 10.4.

I purchased iLife '09 separately.
on 24 July 2011
It works fine on all 3 computers that I have so far installed it on, and does exactly what it says - improves the computer's speed significantly and opens up a new variety of software. Great value for money!
on 27 February 2012
I had the later version for Mac which meant I could not get all updates, I was unsure on what I needed but after some research discovered this might work. It was easy to do I just popped it in the drive and followed the instructions. I know have the app store on my pc very happy good product