Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£5.99

on 12 July 2014
I agree with Mr. D's review. I just had to have this comp as soon as I noticed it has the full 12" version of Womack & Womack's Love wars. There are several other gems that are hard to find on CD, like Jocelyn Brown's Love's goonna get you, Larry Wu's Let me show you and Larry Graham's Sooner or later. I, too, noticed the vinyl dub of The Fatback Band's I found lovin'. Seems to me this is pure laziness from the record company, since it shouldn't be too hard to find a good CD version of this track.
I simply don't understand why record companies turn to shady practices like these. Vinyl rips can only be excused when the master tape is missing or very hard to come by, and in those cases I wouldn't have too much of a problem with a vinyl rip here and there when it's done properly. But it seems to become a lost art. As glad as I am that many disco, funk and soul albums from back in the day finally get a CD release this late in the game, sometimes it's painful to hear what a shoddy job has been done. However, this comp sounds good overall, except for that single vinyl rip.

And about the packaging - a shame, really. I was fully expecting that this 3CD comp would be housed in a digipak much like the 12" Disco comp that Rhino released last year. Instead we get a super-flimsy digipak that's even smaller than a single jewel case. When this package landed on my doormat, I couldn't even imagine it the order was fulfilled properly - the looks of it made it hard to believe that I actually just had received a 3CD comp. It's really hard to get the CDs in and out of the digipak, and they're prone to all sorts of scratches. A new low in CD packaging. But since the price is right and the selecting is mostly good to great, I'll still rate it 4 stars.
on 11 July 2014
This review is for: 12 Inch Dance: 80s Groove 3CD

This is a case of the good, the bad and the ugly:

The good:
Firstly, I'm impressed that this isn't full of the typical tracks. The compiler has dug a little deeper and come up with some titles that are rarely available on CD and some which were previously unavailable on CD at all, so full marks for that.
Obviously there needs to be some popular titles such as the evergreens from Sister Sledge, Chaka Khan, Cherrelle & Alexander O'Neal etc. But there is much to tempt those of us who have those titles already. Womack & Womack's "Love Wars" is hard to find on CD in its 12" version and I haven't seen the Samurai Mix of Rochelle's "My Magic Man" on CD before. Titles like "Baby Don't Hold Your Love Back" by Bridge and "Sooner Or Later" by Larry Graham may be less familiar titles for some people, but for me these are very welcome replacements for my well played vinyl and in perfect sound quality at last. I was very surprised to see the inclusion of those titles here. BB&Q Band "Genie" is a remix from the USA 12". To my ears it isn't as good as the UK 12"/Album Version, but it is interesting to see it included because I haven't seen it on CD before. Club Nouveau "Lean On Me" is the original 12" mix. On other compilations they have used a remix or an edit. It's another one that is hard to find on CD. If you're not familiar with most of the titles here, I would say get it anyway, these are premium titles and there is absolutely no filler here. For the money, it's a bargain.

But it's not all good news...

The bad:
The Fatback Band "I Found Lovin'" is a crackly vinyl rip. It's been on CD before, so digital quality does exist. I'm surprised that a company such as Rhino (who are part of the massive Warner Music group) have used a vinyl rip for this. To my mind it would have been better to use a different track if a digital copy couldn't be obtained. It does rather spoil what is otherwise a flawless compilation of premium titles.

The ugly:
Unfortunately the CDs come in a cheap tri-fold card sleeve, which is so flimsy that the first one I ordered got badly creased in the post, so I had to reorder. The second one still has some creases which look like someone has had a hard time getting the discs into the sleeve. It is certainly not easy to get the discs in and out. It's a really poor design. I'm grateful for the music, but this has to be one of the worst sleeves in my entire collection. I really dislike it. It feels like the least possible amount of money was spent on it. I would have preferred to pay extra and had this in a decent sleeve, because the compilation is superb. Compilation 10/10. Sleeve 0/10.

So, overall for the music I would give this 5 stars. But due to the terrible cheap packaging and the crackly vinyl rip on Fatback, I am docking one star, which I think is fair.
44 comments|27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 August 2014
If you remember the 1980s and liked the Soul/funk and R&B music then you can't go wrong here. Even if you were born later, you still will probably recognize half the tunes on this album. These are the tracks that made the clubs be exciting places back then. Even at home you can have a great party with a few friends. These are the full 12 inch versions of the tracks. (We used to buy vinyl records back then). There is over four hours of good music. This is essential if you are over 35 years of age.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 10 February 2015
This is a brilliant album, but don't be surprised that if you try to buy the CD + Autorip, you could be in for a shock. You'll possibly get recharged for the Autorip and have to get the CD version elsewhere. That's just happened to me with this one. So be prepared for it.

All the same, I loved the track listings as I grew up with much of this music. Can't berate an album because of the buying experience. Still love it even though I ended up paying twice!

So what's on it? Well, with 3 CD's, you get a total of 30 songs. If you read through the .mp3 listing, that DJ mix at the end is not on the physical albums. If you want that, like I did - you're going to have to get the downloaded version.

You've got some well known artists and some BIG songs:

Lost In Music, Sister Sledge; Forget Me Nots, Patrice Rushen; The Glow Of Love, Change; I Shoulda Loved Ya, Narada Michael- Walden; Love Wars, Womack & Womack are all long versions. That's just a small sample of what's listed. It's excellent. Dunno if you can get this in the shops. If not, grab it here.
on 8 March 2015
A wonderful effort this album! This is one of a hand full out of many compilation albums that I own, where I am able to acclaim faultlessly brilliant, every track hits the spot, it is fun, full of great memory of the golden age of funky disco, this has to be a top contender for any long journey...... would be hard to top!
Even the four or so tracks that I consider to be the weakest tracks, on most compilations these would be considered the top tracks in my opinion
VINE VOICEon 5 November 2014
oh i love this CD,it has some really good songs from times that have past,growing up in the 70's you had some really good tunes about by the 80's it had moved onto doing a 12inch disc's with the extended play that would fill the dance floor,good music good fun to listen to,well worth the time and money.
on 2 August 2014
Absolutely fabulous. 3 CD's of pure quality. Unbelievable value , full length versions @ low price price. You cannot ask for more. Many of the tracks I had on vinyl in my younger days. Recommended this. I hope the House compilation will be as good.
on 19 February 2015
As a compilation, it is better than a lot of the others that cover the same period, main reason being that the tracks that it contains are not the usual suspects that are on the others. Also they are either 12" or extended versions of the tracks. The outstanding tracks being Donald Byrd, Pieces of a Dream, Womack & Womack, Larry Graham, Larry Wu and Sheila E. As previous reviewers have said, the packaging of the discs is terrible. I'm sure a plastic cd casing, would not have added a massive amount to the costs of producing this, for Rhino, part of Warner's!
on 27 July 2015
Great quality of sound. Excellent production of three discs which includes an extensive catalogue of 80's grooves including 12" versions of classic R&B Dance / Club tracks by Sister Sledge, Change, Chaka Khan and Womack & Womack to name just a few. If you like R&B 80's tracks go grab yourself a copy. It's a bargain and well put together.
on 8 September 2014
Some great extended remixes and 12" versions of some classic dance grooves, this triple CD album is bulging with all you need for that succesful party. Listen to Lenny Henry at the start of the Paul Hardcastle track, he is a dude!