on 18 October 2007
I currently have this book from the library, and now I'm going to buy it. As someone who is interested in 'going back to nature', I have read quite a few books on natural remedies, skin/hair/body care products and household cleaning. I found this book nice and easy to use (it's broken down into sections, then broken down again into numbered points rather than paragraphs) and covers a little bit on most things.

A word of warning though, if you are looking for something that covers purely remedies for ills and ailments or something that has depth then this probably isn't the book for you, it's more of a quick reference book.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 March 2008
Laurel Vukovic has covered so much in this colourful book. This is a great one for people looking to take a more natural approach to their health, house and beautycare without needing complicated combinations of herbs and ingredients. The above review covers nicely way the book is broken into sections, I particularly like the way it uses simple ingredients easily sourced from chemists or healthfood shops...and therefore have used lots of them and can vouch for their effectiveness! A lot of friends and relatives with a more conventional outlook have also been persuaded to experiment with the advices...for example with laundry care and with treating head lice and now swear by them!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This beautifully illustrated book provides valuable information on natural remedies for health, beauty, home and pet care. The chapter Natural Health Remedies contains information on herbal teas, compresses and quick tips on improving one's well-being. Natural Beauty tells the reader how to make creams, masks, shampoos, massage oils, bath salts, aftershaves and lip balms from natural products. Natural House and Garden explains how to make your own air fresheners, furniture polishes, kitchen and bathroom cleaners and garden sprays from environmentally friendly ingredients. Natural Pet Care provides hints, tips and information on remedies with natural ingredients to keep the cat and the dog healthy and happy and to treat common ailments of pets. The text is enhanced by full colour illustrations and the book concludes with a list of resources and an index.
on 9 January 2011
I bought this book a few years ago, and still dip into it time and time again. The skincare recipes are wonderful...they really work, this book has changed the way I think about skincare, and has greatly expanded my knowledge of essential oils and herbs. By explaining exactly what each ingredient does, the reader gains the confidence to tweak the recipes to suit themselves, and maybe create their own.

The only thing missing from this book is a chapter on baby care, otherwise I would definitely recommend this book to anyone interested in a natural approach to health and beauty.
on 2 March 2013
I bought this book after reading some very positive comments and because it was very cheap at the time. It didn't disappoint although some of the advice is quite basic but then.... It caters for beginners, maybe very young people and people like me who are a bit older and know all the basic stuff! There is a quite a good index which is useful if you want to find an ingredient or a condition. This book caters for everything from health problems to beauty products, massage oils, natural tips for house and garden, pet care (less interesting for me as I don't have any pets but which will interest a lot of people) and at the end it has a list with plants names showing the common name and the Latin one. There is so much information in it that I will have to keep referring back to it as it is quite impossible to remember even a fraction of it. Too bad some of the ingredients can be quite expensive as natural products often are anyway!

There are a few things I think are not considered correct anymore though but those are only small details like ingesting fibers in order to relieve constipation. Many doctors think now that too much fiber can actually irritate the intestine and therefore cause more constipation. Eating soy is also something not all the experts advise and it does seems that one needs to be careful with the kind of soy one eats, especially if it is not fermented. Milk products to prevent osteoporosis... the jury is not out on that either but it used to be an old belief. The chapter on cholesterol is maybe not accurate either as more and more experts are starting to back off the theory that cholesterol is bad for you and that there is bad and good cholesterol. Anyway, the women who live the longest seem to be the ones with the higher cholesterol levels. After having read quite a lot on this subject I think that this cholesterol hysteria is something invented in our lifetime and which will have damaged the health of a lot of people needlessly! Eating ten servings a day of fruit and vegetables???? Wow, that is a lot of fruit and vegetables..... and there are a few more things I can't agree with but this is a book worth buying anyway, reason why I still gave it 4 stars!
on 8 September 2011
I love this book and can't wait to make some of the items to give as gifts. Colourful, easy to follow recipes, many using everyday store cupboard items. would definitely recomment.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Fantastic book. Should have a place in all homes. I only bought this because I friend wouldn't let me borrow hers - she refers to it all the time.
on 29 June 2011
I am very pleased with the book so far. Have not read all the way through it yet but have bought some oils for making cosmetics etc. Excellent service and a good product for the money I paid.
on 28 February 2013
I read the entire book when I first got it, but there are only a couple of sections I found truly useful, as I'm not into traditional medicine/herbalism/etc. The recipes for skin care products, especially facial moisturizers, are very good. The housecleaning recipes are also useful, though sometimes a bit too heavy on essential oils for my taste. I'd say this book is a good buy if you want to get started with green cleaning or homemade beauty products.
on 16 October 2013
is good though it is no where in depth, it as some remedies that are quite good but is more dedicated to beauty and household stuff like how to polishe your silver ware with vinegar or lemons. I was expecting something more about health