Format: Hardcover|Change

on 16 March 2015
If you're like me you've read volume one to see what the fuss is about and you're intrigued, but not sure whether to go the whole distance. "Is it worth it?" I asked myself..... the answer is Nope.

I took a chance and book all 5 books and read them from beginning to end.

The problem i found was Azzarello's devotion to writing dodgy street wordplay-heavy dialogue, which started to bother from the outset, but I thought i'd get used to it, if that bothers you like it did me then don't bother. In previous volumes, stories stood alone but felt like part of a larger plot gradually coming together. Well, now the plot has come together.... there are so many factions and motivations and damaged characters that the unrealistic dialogue becomes a noticeable burden. I found myself re-reading scenes to figure out just what the hell was going on, because the characters speak in so much subtext that their true intentions were a little hard to suss out (and not in an intentionl, intriguing way).

Also, the character models were confusing. There are a lot of characters who look very similar, and I spend a lot of time trying to figure out who they are. The most distinct characters in the whole series are the ones that seem to be used the least. There are a bunch of guys that look like Graves and Lono and Vic (who looks exactly like Shepherd, in my opinion), but Dizzy and Branch are in this thing almost zero and I know them instantly every time I see them. It makes flashbacks very confusing and lends a convolution to the plot that I don't think would normally be there.

....and the ending, very similar to a Quention Tarantino film.
on 13 February 2014
An overall confusing end to an overall confusing series. I bought all of these deluxe books and certainly don't regret it as the art is gorgeous and there are glimpses of excellent storytelling but it gets so confusing at times! Maybe I need to go back and re-read them all back-to-back...