on 28 December 2011
This book will cover some ground you are probably aware of such as positive attitude, self-belief, visualisation, goal-setting etc. For me what makes it worth while are some concrete examples of how you can put these ideas into practice in ten minute daily exercises. Also it's readable and not overly technical and so overall it's a worthwhile book.
on 29 February 2012
Like at least one other reviewer I am not big on US sports - indeed I'm not big on ANY sports, having bought this for other reasons.

Consequently I found myself flipping past the references to the Cardinals and the other 'When I was training so and so...' and 'Thingymajob came to me with a real problem...' stories end picking out the techniques and other practical information; often in small highlighted boxes.

Although the technique headlines are well-known, (centred-breathing, visualisation etc), the value for me was in the explaination of how to do it in small managable chunks. The activities on things such as goal-setting are of course sports-based but are easily transferable to other settings and situations.

Overall, I would have prefered less of the author's trumpet-blowing, but then this is an American book afterall!

The final proof will be if I can be tough enough to continue the exercises for a month or so, so that they can become part of my natural behaviour.

If that happens it will be money well spent!
VINE VOICEon 23 December 2009
I bought this book after a recommendation from Linda Bradford Raschke, the super trader from Market Wizards fame.

Brilliantly written with zero psychobabble and lots of focus on the business end of performance. Although I bought this book to assist my mind game in my trading business I can see the positive effects the techniques will have in pretty much every sphere of life - from tough negotiations to jujitsu competition. I have already started teaching the principals to my children.

Go for it.
on 19 September 2011
This is an actual technique instruction. Without all the talk about how people have had success with this, it would be thinner, but it really helped me getting over my exam fear.
on 12 September 2011
if you are struggling at work (whether it be as an athelete or something else), or would like a different perspective on how to be successful then i highly reccomend this book for you. it's advice for becoming a better athelete but is easily transferred to all walks of life - however, if you feel success will come to you because you "hope" it will then this book isn'y for you. full of great tips and techniques to help you improve...
on 21 July 2012
I was searching on amazon, actually buying the chimp paradox book and the 10MT book came up as one that others had bought at the same time. the reviews have been very useful. This book has changed my life. If you're not into the american sports examples it's still completely readable and inspiring. this jason selk really has broken things down to the basics of what it takes to get results. I worked through the worksheets provided in the book and got immediate results. I am a climber and my grades just shot up, it was amazing! Not only that, but the Relentless Solution Focus that Selk advocates has improved my life all round, in my work and my family life; overall I am much happier and more focused. I cannot stress enough how good this book is: to be great you must believe you are great and continually visualise yourself as doing great things; and it works! the best thing about this book and what separates it from other self-help, or whatever you want to call them, books, is that it's short and to the point and the worksheets basically make it superfriendly to follow and get results. I cannot recommend this book enough. Buy it. It will change your life.
on 4 September 2009
I am a professional trader and I was looking for some mental support and preparation before each trading session. I used to play professionally tennis when i was younger and I always felt that mental part is 80% of my success. I believe that same principal works for trading since its 80% of psychology and discipline. This book wont give you any discipline but if you follow it WITH DISCIPLINE you will definitely see progress. Well at least i did. But again, none of these books wont do it for us. We have to do it. Its straight, sometimes bit long with too many examples on how one player achieved that and the other that but on the other hand not too long which is good. So as i have said already - straight to the point, no bs with a good structure.
I found this book very useful, but as a British reader with limited knowledge of baseball, american football and basketball, there were a lot of aspects to this book that took a while to understand. The underlying psychology is faultless (in my opinion!) and I have already implemented sseveral key areas into my training and with my swimming club as well.

The nice this is that there are several exercises that may be implemented with immediate effect as well as several aspects that take a little longer to work through.

A very useful additional for any athlete looking to increase their mental armoury.
on 14 December 2012
The concept is a clever one. As athletes/weekend warriors we all know that we need to work on our physical fitness, but often the psychological side is overlooked. This book breaks down our psychological training into manageable chunks. No matter how busy you are you can find 10 mins a day to raise your game.
on 2 January 2013
This book holds true to its topic and is easy to read, understand and to get you started on the road to higher mental toughness. The downside is all the baseball examples and references to sports starts that I know nothing of, but these parts are mostly "fluff" and you can understand the facts anyway.